SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY POLICY
Gambling is a fun and exciting form of entertainment that can be experienced in a variety of environments, including Licensed Betting Offices (LBOs).
At Gr8odds, we understand that whilst for the majority of customers betting is an enjoyable and entertaining pastime, for a small number of people, gambling can become a problem.
Gr8odds encourages a socially responsible attitude within the betting and gaming industry and within our own organisation, and we recognise our responsibility to help tackle problem gambling. We are committed to protecting children and the vulnerable from being harmed or exploited by gambling.
Following the Gambling Act 2005, the Gambling Commission has three main licensing objectives to uphold:
- To prevent gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime and disorder or being used to support crime
- To ensure that gambling is being conducted in a fair and open way
- To protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling
- The policies in this document set out how we will meet the licensing objectives and are at the heart of how we will operate all Gr8odds LBOs. We will also work with the Gambling Commission, Gamcare and other related charities in order to meet and exceed the objectives.
The information below demonstrates our commitment to social responsibility:
- Clear notices are displayed in all our LBOs stating the minimum age required to bet with Gr8odds. To ensure we exceed the objective, we adopt the ‘Think 21’ approach in all shops, which requires our staff to challenge any customer who appears to be under the age of 21. Records of all such instances are logged in the shop social responsibility folder, kept in each LBO.
- We provide a facility for customers to self exclude themselves from any of our LBOs for a minimum period of six months and a maximum period of five years. At the end of any self excluded period, customers wishing to resume betting with Gr8odds will have to complete a further 24 hour cooling off period before allowed back on the premises.
- Information on the tools available to customers to monitor or control their gambling are available through leaflets and information on display in our LBOs and on our company website. We will also provide information to customers’ relatives and friends who may approach us asking for help with problem gambling.
- Although there is no clear pattern of behaviours to identify customers with gambling problems, our staff are trained to approach and to discuss available resources and literature with potential problem gamblers.
- All staff employed by Gr8odds receive training and guidelines on the licensing objectives and our commitment to social responsibility. This includes an induction course and any future training requirements due to changes in legislation. We are committed to raising staff awareness of social responsibility and training our staff to ensure this is met.
- Our marketing strategy will ensure that advertising does not target people under the age of 18.
- We do not enter into employment contracts with any persons under the age of 18.
CRIME AND DISORDER
At Gr8odds we are committed to preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime and disorder, or being used to support crime. We comply with all relevant industry codes of practice in this area. It is a criminal offence to provide assistance to anyone attempting to launder money or seeking to obtain, conceal, retain or invest the proceeds of crime.
- We will liaise with local authorities and local police crime prevention officers, to support and work alongside them in preventing crime and disorder in and around our LBOs.
- All LBOs are risk assessed and all necessary crime prevention measures are put in place. These include: CCTV, alarm systems, panic buttons, shutters, bandit screens and time delay safes. These measures are reviewed annually. We also utilise note checking tools to ensure we can detect counterfeit monies.
- Notices are displayed in all our LBOs informing customers of our security measures and informing them of any relations with external partners such as Crimestoppers.
- We have an appointed Money Laundering Officer to ensure we meet our obligations under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 and the Money Laundering Regulations 2007.
- Large staking customers are monitored and staff are trained to be aware of customers spending habits and to report any major changes to their normal spend.
- We do not allow staff to accept any form of bribe and they are trained to avoid accepting any gifts which may seem excessive and place them under any obligation or commitment.
- We carry out daily reconciliation of all monies and staff receive training in cash handling, robbery prevention and their obligations to this policy.
FAIR AND OPEN
- At Gr8odds we are committed to ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way. We comply with all relevant industry codes of practice in this area.
- We are committed to operating with honesty and integrity, and with the best interests of our customers, employees and suppliers.
- The business shall be adequately capitalized and able to meet its liabilities including customers’ winnings.
- Our betting rules and payout limits are displayed in all our LBOs. All external gaming machines are licensed and display the relevant notices and percentage payouts.
- We seek to give our customers as much information as possible to avoid disputes and will not knowingly mislead our customers.
- It is always our intention to settle all customer complaints/bet disputes in house; however, Gr8odds is a member of IBAS to ensure any customer disputes which are not resolved at shop level are dealt with in a fair and open manner.
- The betting system and gaming machines used by Gr8odds are all supplied by reputable companies already supplying to existing High Street bookmakers in the UK and comply with all standards pertaining to gaming machines and Section 240 of the Gambling Act 2005.
- All staff are knowledgeable in our rules and practices and trained on their obligation to this policy.
PROTECTING CHILDREN AND THE VULNERABLE
At Gr8odds we are committed to protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling. We comply with all relevant industry codes of practice in this area.
- The 18 year old age limit is rigorously enforced in all our LBOs. Clear notices are displayed at the entrance and inside all our LBOs stating the minimum age required to bet with Gr8odds. To ensure we exceed this objective, we adopt a ‘Think 21’ approach in all shops; which requires our staff to challenge any customers who appear to be under 21 years old. Records of all such instances are logged in the Social Responsibility folder, kept in each LBO.
- In addition to the above, we will refuse entry to customers who are accompanied by a child or young person.
- We work with the Citizen Card scheme to ensure customers have the option of verifying their age when appearing to be under 18 and wanting to bet with Gr8odds.
- Our marketing strategy will ensure that advertising does not target people under the age of 18 and fully complies with the relevant codes of practice.
- We do not enter into employment contracts with any people under the age of 18.
- Our staff are trained to approach and challenge anyone they suspect as being possibly ‘vulnerable’. This includes people suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs, people with mental health problems and people with learning difficulties. We realise that this is a potentially difficult area, but we are committed to training our staff to carry out this objective to a high standard.